Wednesday 1 October 2008

"What makes a man a man? Am I a man? Yes, technically, I am"

For some reason, when I think about myself, I think of myself as a boy. Even though I am 19 years old. I certainly don't think of myself as a man anyways! Which is strange, because I obviously am, well, at least in the UK I am. You reach manhood at 18 here, so really I have been a man for well over a year now! But I still don't see it..

In countries like the US, I use this as an example because we all look to the US to lead by example, even though they are pretty fucked at the moment. Fucked, meaning that their economy is in decay, and their choice of leader is generally idiotic. Well in America you are legally a man when you turn 21. Which is a good number of years later than us Brits! Why the reason for such a difference? We only live across the pond from each other but somehow, legally, us Brits walk around being all manly a good 3 years before our American counterparts.

So I got to thinking, if I'm 19 and still think I'm a boy, when will I actually agree with my body and refer to myself as a man? It's likely to happen when writing an 'About Me' section on some random social networking site I think. Like when people put: "I'm an out-going man from Leeds, with an interest in pencils and mellow lights." Obviously something major may have to happen for me to change my opinion of myself. I can't still think of myself as a boy when I'm 25, because it's so obvious that I'm not!

When looking who's to blame for my predicament I looked to literature. Or, never actually having read the book I shall refer to, the movies. One in particular- Peter Pan. Yes, blame Peter Pan and his band of Lost Boys- the bastards! Obviously all this talk of never growing up has been embedded into my mind as a small, and impressionable child. Now I am older, and far less impressionable (well I like to think anyway) so how come it's magic hasn't worn off?

So instead of growing old and accepting manhood I shall reject it. I think you should all too! Even the girls, cast off the shackles of womanhood and live forever as a child! You know you want to. We shall start a revolution!! March on Washington (or whichever your local authority may be) and we can live together in a childish, idocincratic world created by J.M. Barrie.

Over and out.

No comments: